Trail armour?

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
      What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
      patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
      using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
      sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
      right before wasting good leather and metal.

      Jason
    • Alcyoneus
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2003
        Poster board, possibly heavy cloth.

        If you are better than I, you don't have to make it oversize, and trim down
        the metal afterwards. ;-)

        Alcyoneus
        At 04:26 AM 9/4/2003 +0000, you wrote:

        >What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
        >patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
        >using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
        >sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
        >right before wasting good leather and metal.
        >
        >Jason

      • Shawn Merritt
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
          The First question: Do you plan to USE this trial armor or is it just for measuring and patterning.
          If you plan to USE it, the 55 Gallon Plastic Food Grade Drums (AKA Pickle Barrel) is a good choice, Please however, PAINT IT!!!, No SMURF ARMOR.
          If you dont plan to use it , I would go with cardboard, posterboard or 5 gallon plastic buckets.

          you can also use lighter grade sheet metal.. if you do it right, it would make a nice set of light court armor.

          Sir Robert Valcore

          Jason <jasdel@...> wrote:
          What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
          patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
          using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
          sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
          right before wasting good leather and metal.

          Jason

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Gentleman and Mister Robert William Valcore
          of the Barony of Wolcott,
          Man at Arms of the Imperial Knighthood,
          Assistant Master of Sport,
          Guard to Duchess-Palatine Anora Landloch,
          Tavern Keeper at Kinges Wood

          Take a look at the House of Valcore Web site at
          http://houseofvalcore.tripod.com

          "Typical. Just when you're getting ahead,
          someone changes the odds." - MacGyver (Pegasus)

        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
            On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:

            > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
            > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
            > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
            > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
            > right before wasting good leather and metal.

            I would recommend the posterboard--it is the easiest, and seems to do a
            decent job for getting the basic look. If you are REALLY committed to
            paper, there is a group in Japan that does some really full-fledged paper
            armour, IIRC.

            -Ii
          • Mark Grass
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2003
              I myself agree with using the plastic for your first
              set of armor. That is if you plan on using it. My
              entire first suit of armor from gorget down was made
              of 5 gallon pails. And the body was a modified version
              of Japanese armor made for Sir Haakon Oaktall.
              (Modification being that it was riveted and not laced)
              It works good but like was suggested paint it. It
              looks horrid on the field. Believe someone who had to
              suffer with wearing it openly due to lack of fighting
              garb!
              Arimasa
              --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Jason wrote:
              >
              > > What is a good material to use to make a trial
              > armour for sizing a
              > > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will
              > even think about
              > > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I
              > want to get the
              > > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and
              > number/lacing of scales
              > > right before wasting good leather and metal.
              >
              > I would recommend the posterboard--it is the
              > easiest, and seems to do a
              > decent job for getting the basic look. If you are
              > REALLY committed to
              > paper, there is a group in Japan that does some
              > really full-fledged paper
              > armour, IIRC.
              >
              > -Ii

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • manxaikidoka
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <jasdel@n...> wrote:
                > What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
                > patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
                > using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
                > sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
                > right before wasting good leather and metal.
                >
                > Jason

                I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
                leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
                it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)
              • Brian Dean
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003
                  Brown packing paper that you can pick up at the grocery store. trust me,,
                  its a life saver

                  Onishi Hirotora Kageyama

                  >From: "Jason" <jasdel@...>
                  >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [SCA-JML] Trail armour?
                  >Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 04:26:02 -0000
                  >
                  >What is a good material to use to make a trial armour for sizing a
                  >patterning? There is no way on earth that I will even think about
                  >using metal or leather for my absolutely first. I want to get the
                  >sizing of scales, armour-to-body ratio, and number/lacing of scales
                  >right before wasting good leather and metal.
                  >
                  >Jason

                  Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
                  http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam
                • Solveig
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2003

                    >I've found that upholstery vinyl is about the nearest thing to
                    >leather and very cheap. I can be had in many colours and wieghts so
                    >it can be used for many jobs.. Hope this helps :o)

                    I see that you have been stalking the wild naga.