Thinking of making amour (in the future) but many quesitons

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
      I really want to make some armour, "do maru" to be specific, in the
      distant future but have some questions that I think are very
      important. I like to study and day-dream how to make it, eventhough
      it will be some time before I actually get to start the process.
      Although, I will probably make small bits here and there.

      First of all, I want to make armour that's historically accurate as
      possible (i.e. not for SCA use).

      So, if I'm wanting to do something like a late Heian do maru, would
      it be more accurate to use rawhide, metal, a mix, or all three
      choices are equally correct?

      Also, I have never made armour before. So I don't have (or know
      what) all of the "armouring tools" are which would be needed to
      construct the armour.

      For the laquering of the armour plates, is that only metal, or is
      leather also laquered? Do the scales get laquered individually or
      all together (meaning that if you took them apart after laquering,
      the parts of the scales that were over lapped would be void of any
      laquer)?

      I really appreciate any help I can get on this. It seems like an
      overwhelming task, but I know I can do it, just small bits at a time.

      Jason
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
        Well, I guess first of all it depends on what you want to do, but you are
        probably looking at rawhide.

        What sources do you have at this point? Have you checked out "Arms and
        Armour of the Samurai"? It is probably available through interlibrary
        loan (ILL is great!). Also, www.sengokudaimyo.com has a section on armour
        that is a good place to look.

        Be aware that the lacquering process is something that should not be
        attempted lightly. There may be some suggestions for how best to achieve
        the lacquer (or that affect)--maybe check the archives and see if there is
        anything there?

        The lacquer is applied to metal and leather, I believe, although there are
        other treatments for metal, too.

        I'm not sure how much metal was used in the Heian period--I think that you
        are mostly looking at the leather scales in that period. I'm not sure if
        the scales are lacquered individually, but I know that they are lacquered
        together for certain armours at least.

        -Ii