Disc Crash Chez Effingham

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 26 7:59 AM
      This is a general note to all the groups I'm on in case anyone has sent me anything I've not replied to in the past
      couple of weeks.

      After coming back from Pennsic, I noticed that my computer was acting wonky; I was planning to try to archive my
      files to CDs when I could get out to the store and grab some, but it didn't seem to be a major threat. And there were
      a lot of messages saved from before and during the war I was hoping to get to, but... well, read on.

      On Tuesday afternoon, we had a double whammy Chez Effingham.

      The phone went out, and they fixed the line today (someone, it seems, cut the outside line). On Tuesday evening, the
      BIG whammy hit. Disk Crash.

      The only thing that worked was recovering the Hard Drive. That returned the computer to its status as of December,
      2000. Three years of work was gone in a flash.

      All the files are gone. All the work. All my armour material. All the garb designs. All the costume reference and
      patterns. All my webpages. All my font work. All my manuscripts and translations. All the music. All the graphics.
      Except for a single CD of selected archived files to transfer to the laptop (made a year ago!) It is only by the
      grace of God that I have a CD of my thesis, as someone recently asked me for a copy and I burned off a CD for him and
      haven't yet mailed it... but everything else -- my translation of Hojoki, my in-progress translations of Japanese
      literature and two chapters of the new armour book, all my correspondence, all my bookmarks, all my addresses... all
      gone.

      So, friends, there is a moral here. For the love of God, backup your files. Early, and often.

      And, if you've sent me anything that I haven't replied to, send again. I'll try to get a reply out as soon as I can.
      For now, I'm using the laptop (which has always been the backup and has only a few surviving files on it), as the
      desktop is still acting unstable and is going in for a brain dusting ASAP.

      In the meantime, I'm going to try to catch up to the last few days of e-mail.

      Suicidally Yours,
      Anthony J. Bryant/
      Edward of Effingham
    • jim e grant
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 28 3:20 PM
        Maybe it was a NINJA ATTACK.....

        ;=)

        Tochiro

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 28 3:49 PM
          Ninjas totally crash! And by crash I mean they wipe out all your files in
          the blink of an eye...

          That really sucks, E.

          OUCH.

          Alcyoneus

          At 05:20 PM 8/28/2003 -0500, you wrote:

          >Maybe it was a NINJA ATTACK.....
          >

          > ;=)
          >

          > Tochiro

        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 28 7:55 PM
            Baron Edward!

            Greetings from Solveig! That is a bummer. I lost a version of my pamphlet
            and a bunch of other stuff ina disk crash a while back. So I know what
            you mean. At least in a small way. This time, I have been backing up on
            separate computers and I blew a CD ROM of all of the active files in the
            current revision shortly before Pennsic.

            Do you have hard copies of any of your work? If so, you can retype a lot
            of it. It's painful, but it is a lot better than recreating from scratch.

          • Richard Brooks
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 29 9:37 AM
              Effingham, I'm not sure what I have, but I know that I downloaded a good
              many of your files and patterns a while back, for my own use- I wanted
              to make some armour, but never got around to it. I can check my computer
              to see what's there.
              -Hirokawa no Tsuru
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 29 11:34 AM
                Hiraizumi-sensei,
                If you were not using your own computer as a server, then you should
                be able to get back every page of your web site...any ftp should be
                able to re-transfer your posted files from the server back to your
                newly rebuilt machine...I have done this a number of times with my own
                site...I hope this idea proves fruitful...
                Date Saburou Yukiie
                Yama Kaminari Ryu

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 29 12:09 PM
                  Richard Brooks wrote:

                  > Effingham, I'm not sure what I have, but I know that I downloaded a good
                  > many of your files and patterns a while back, for my own use- I wanted
                  > to make some armour, but never got around to it. I can check my computer
                  > to see what's there.

                  I appreciate it -- but anything that's online is safe, and I can get those. The problem is the master files with all
                  the code, and the *updated* pages that hadn't been uploaded yet. I was in the process of working on the women's garb
                  section, and had done lots of new material on the men's stuff. Sigh.

                  It's so frustrating.

                  Edward
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 29 12:11 PM
                    Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie wrote:

                    > Hiraizumi-sensei,
                    > If you were not using your own computer as a server, then you should
                    > be able to get back every page of your web site...any ftp should be
                    > able to re-transfer your posted files from the server back to your
                    > newly rebuilt machine...I have done this a number of times with my own
                    > site...I hope this idea proves fruitful...

                    Thanks. That's what I'm going to be doing. But it's only the tip of the iceberg. The Website files on my hardrive
                    were hundreds and hundreds of megs of graphics and text waiting to be uploaded.

                    In the greater scheme of things, it's not a major disaster -- but it sure hurts.

                    Edward
                  • Deborah K. Strub
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 29 5:40 PM
                      That really SUCKS!!! I've been having fun with the blue screen of death at
                      work for the past two days so I can sympathize a little. There are some
                      days I just HATE computers.

                      If you end up having to re-type a lot of stuff from hard copy I can
                      probably help you out. Just send me the stuff via snail mail (I'm out here
                      in the Pacific Northwest, Kingdom of An Tir). Even if you have to re-do
                      your graphics if you can get help with re-doing the text portion that will
                      make the whole chore go faster. I'm a database administrator at work so I
                      can type reasonably fast and accurately.

                      YIS,

                      Tsuruko

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30 5:17 PM
                        "Deborah K. Strub" wrote:

                        > That really SUCKS!!! I've been having fun with the blue screen of death at
                        > work for the past two days so I can sympathize a little. There are some
                        > days I just HATE computers.
                        >
                        > If you end up having to re-type a lot of stuff from hard copy I can
                        > probably help you out. Just send me the stuff via snail mail (I'm out here
                        > in the Pacific Northwest, Kingdom of An Tir). Even if you have to re-do
                        > your graphics if you can get help with re-doing the text portion that will
                        > make the whole chore go faster. I'm a database administrator at work so I
                        > can type reasonably fast and accurately.

                        In a wonderful display of irony in timing, before Pennsic I went on an organizing binge to get rid of random papers
                        and stuff lying around to make room for garb work. Surprise -- I threw away lots of hard copy of things I had in the
                        computer as I could print them at any time. Sigh.

                        I appreciate the offer, but there's not that much left...

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 30 5:46 PM
                          Solveig wrote:

                          > Baron Edward!
                          >
                          > Greetings from Solveig! That is a bummer. I lost a version of my pamphlet
                          > and a bunch of other stuff ina disk crash a while back. So I know what
                          > you mean. At least in a small way. This time, I have been backing up on
                          > separate computers and I blew a CD ROM of all of the active files in the
                          > current revision shortly before Pennsic.

                          Eep. That sux, indeed.

                          I think I'm going to look into a separate HD for entirely backing-up and archival use...

                          > Do you have hard copies of any of your work? If so, you can retype a lot
                          > of it. It's painful, but it is a lot better than recreating from scratch.

                          Sadly, not many. I recently "re-organized" and trashed lots of random papers cluttering the apartment because "I can
                          always print it out if I need it". (Hindsight sux.) I do have some graphic print-outs, but that doesn't help much as
                          they would still need hours to recreate each one using Illustrator and Freehand.

                          Effingham
                        • S. David Lee
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 31 6:18 AM
                            I understand that it's possible to have data retrieved from crashed
                            drives. It would certainly be worth looking in to.
                            -Ogami
                          • Solveig
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 1, 2003
                              Ogami Shugo!

                              Greetings from Solveig!

                              It is worth looking into. The problem is whether or not Baron Edward
                              can afford it. Those data retrieval places are pretty expensive.

                            • ekoogler1@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 2, 2003
                                Edward,
                                I hadn't commented earlier because everyone else seemed to be covering all of
                                the bases. I did send you a personal message, which I will resend ASAP.

                                I know that the quality won't be nearly as good, but at least for the moment,
                                how about scanning in the images you have? That will at least help you get
                                something up, and then you can take your time recreating them as you'd really
                                like to have them.

                                Kiri
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 7, 2003
                                  ekoogler1@... wrote:

                                  > Edward,
                                  > I hadn't commented earlier because everyone else seemed to be covering all of
                                  > the bases. I did send you a personal message, which I will resend ASAP.
                                  >
                                  > I know that the quality won't be nearly as good, but at least for the moment,
                                  > how about scanning in the images you have? That will at least help you get
                                  > something up, and then you can take your time recreating them as you'd really
                                  > like to have them.

                                  That would be my last resort... It's the quality of the images, too...

                                  Of course, scanning them in would be a good basis for recreating them with Illustrator. <G>

                                  Sorry for missing any other messages. I really don't enjoy using the laptop for my online stuff -- it seems so SLOW
                                  compared to the regular computer. Sigh...

                                  Edwrrd