colors for sengoku jidai garb

  • Justin P Barney
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
      Konnichi-wa,

      We are trying to expand my rather meager garb selection, and my lady
      asked me if there were colors that had specific significance. I,
      unfortunately, was not able to completely answer her question. I was
      only able to think of orange being the color of Buddhist monks, but was
      unable to think of any beyond that.

      I was wondering if the skilled scholars on this list could help us with
      the answer to this question.

      -Ozumi Takezou
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2003
        I would generally say that bright is good.

        Orange is not necessarily Buddhist monks. You see black, white,
        yellow--all sorts of colors depending on what branch of Buddhism, how
        wealthy they are (how pious they are ;) ), etc.

        A certain type of purple was only for the Emperor, IIRC. All white seems
        to generally be seen on servants, priests, etc. but I can't think of a
        person of any rank wearing just white in the Sengoku period.

        Wild and crazy! Pinks, blues, reds, yellows, and in bright colors are
        probably great!

        On the other hand, there are some colors that have significance, but it is
        usually in conjunction with other things.

        Death is often associated with white (although I wouldn't say it is
        necesarily vice versa--that is, white is not stigmatized by the
        association). Red and white seems to be an auspicious combination of
        colors for many things. Heian court garments have regulated colors but
        that is only for particular outfits. Various color combinations have
        meaning in Heian Japan but I've seen no evidence that they held much
        weight among the members of the Sengoku buke.

        Being Japan, I would imagine every shade of color has a meaning somewhere,
        but that could take a lifetime of study in and of itself.

        -Ii