Re: [SCA-JML] Kyougen questions

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2000
      On Tue, 18 Apr 2000 markejag@... wrote:

      > I am interested in your explanation here. What is J-Pop? From what I know
      > of taiko, traditional performances tended to be rather stoic and not the
      > 'fancy' moving choreography of today's performances, which were developed in
      > the early 20th century. Would this have rather been a meditation taiko
      > piece, allowing the audience to contemplate on the previous kyougen plays?

      By 'J-Pop' I mean the current trend in Japanese music that I have a hard
      time explaining without pointing you to songs by groups like 'Morning
      Musume'. It is extremely upbeat and faddish, and it seems to go through
      groups rather fast. It is targetted at teenagers, and is part of the
      atsu-kutsu (thick, platform shoes with soles over 6 inches thick
      sometimes!), died hair, and the ko-gyaru make-up craze. The formula is
      generally to have someone churn out a happy song with English catch
      phrases thrown in, find a group of good-looking teens who can carry
      something resembling a tune, and put them on stage with a lot of props,
      flashes, etc.

      As for taiko, I wouldn't really call it stoic. Almost all performers I
      have seen have had smiles on their faces, and seemed to be having a great
      time. In taiko, however, there is a different 'feel' about it; I think it
      is just more serious, usually.

      Anyway, the 'taiko' performer at the end of the kyougen was wearing a
      shirt that looked like something from China, and had red-dyed
      hair. Although he was remarkable--I know I can't do what he was doing--it
      seemed more Western in many ways. It was almost as though he was playing
      a western drum set, in some ways. It is hard to explain, but it is not
      something I would point to as a description of what taiko drumming is all
      about.

      -Godric Logan