[SCA-JML] Re: Post period

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 5, 1999

      >> To that end I would say that, anathema though it may be to many
      >> good gentles (yeah, yeah- I know how you feel about this one, Baron
      >> Master Edward-tono), that the 1600 doesn't apply as well to Japan as it
      >> does to European cultures, since the Japanese fuedal period ended only
      >> in 1860ish.

      Which Japanese history books have you been reading? Most Japanese
      history books have the Japanese middle ages ending either with
      Hideyoshi unifying Japan or in GASP at about 1600. The battle
      of Sekigahara occured in 1600 and there were the two battles of
      Osaka Castle. The Genroku period (if I recall my era names
      correctly) is generally considered to be post medieval.

      >>I would propose a more fluid standard in keeping with the
      >> purpose of the SCA, rather than trying to impose hard-and-fast rules.
      >> In other words, cut off Japan just before the Meiji restoration, but
      >> cut off Europe at 1600, and apply other dates to other cultures as
      >> appropriate. Oh, and ixnay on the american colonist thing.

      Why? This distinction does not make sense for EUROPE! The Spanish
      practiced patronage with gold mined from placer mines in the New
      World. The Spanish remained arguably medieval for quite some time
      and (as I recall) the Russians only freed their serfs in the
      19th century. Some argue that Spanish redistribution of American
      gold brought about the enclosure act and the forced urbanization
      of England and the conversion of the English economy to an
      industrial economy. This sort of thing was not at all universal
      throughout Europe.

      In short. We can make a BETTER case for the middle ages ending in
      Japan at 1600 than can for Europe.

      | techie.com |