Sorry!

  • Susan and Frank Downs
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2003
      The subject line of this message should have been: Re: Shan wen kia?

      ----------
      From: Susan and Frank Downs <sfdowns@...>
      Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:39:33 -0400
      To: <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com>, <Atomicius@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1113

      Greetings!

      That's really cool, and what an excellent site! Thanks for bringing it up!
      Although I know next to diddly about Chinese armor, this reminds me a bit of
      Japanese hexagonal mail. If the similarity holds up, the hexagonal mail
      (Yeah, I know it has a name, something like tortoise shell plates) was laced
      onto the backing, rather than rivetted. Lacing would have the benefit of
      being more flexible than riveting (I project), and the Chinese plates would
      have the advantage of protecting the lacing. No idea if its historically
      correct, but it makes sense to me, since it seems like the Chinese plates go
      to what would seem to be inconvenient lengths to protect a relatively
      invulnerable rivet.

      --
      Takenoshita Naro
      Frank Downs