Re: [SCA-JML] Shan wen kia?

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2003
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > I have never seen that type of armour made before. If you are going on
      > the descriptions from the site (618 until 1644) then you are looking at a
      > Chinese armour in use from (in Japanese terms) the Kofun to the Edo
      > periods (which makes me wonder why we don't have any surviving examples of
      > this armour scale type, if made of metal, but China is not exactly the
      > most open of countries, either).

      That's another reason why I believe that if it was a real armour pattern, it was
      likely made with pressed leather. But it may also just be an artistic issue.
      Until we find *something* we won't know. Damn.

      > I cannot think of any Japanese armour I have seen with that pattern on
      > it. Hiraizumi-dono, have you?

      Nope. But the "interlocking" three-armed pattern exists in Japanese as a fabric
      treatment and as an architectural motif. (If you have a copy of Morse's "Japanese
      Homes and their Surroundings," for example, you can see a ranma with the same
      motif; it's figure 144.)