Re: [SCA-JML] Kyougen questions

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2000
      On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > There are multiple editions of kyougen manuscripts. Some of the texts
      > that you may find in your library stacks only date from the end of the
      > 19th century. Be sure to read the introduction which tells you which
      > monjo your text is derived from. There is a rather nice 17th century
      > text available for lots of the plays, but the old 2 volume kyougen
      > collection (for which I have only 1 volume) used a 19th century text.

      Thanks for the warning. I will be sure to look carefully at what we have
      here.

      > Fujiwara Dono can tell you that Kyougen can trace its roots to
      > Sarugaku performances of the Heian period. An important work
      > relating to that stuff is Shin Sarugaku Ki (1052). The earliest
      > known appearance of the word kyougen occurs ca 1352.

      That makes sense. I would also like information on sarugaku if I can find
      it.

      BTW, it may be of interest to some people to hear this: I looked up the
      kanji for 'kyougen'. The latter kanji, 'gen', is just the kanji for 'iu',
      meaning to say, speaking. The first kanji, however, means something like
      'insanity' according to my kanji jiten. It seems to describe the genre
      rather well.

      -Godric Logan