Re: [SCA-JML] Re: A question (How to read blue)

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12 9:40 PM
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Noble Cousins!
      >
      > >But it *is* pronounced "Aoi." <G>
      >
      > What the <grin> is most likely about is the common Japanese
      > practice of actually reading the stuff as if it were modern
      > Japanese.

      True; but until we have any evidence to the contrary, that's how it works.
      The orthography is just odd. Like cough is "koff" but hiccough is "hikkup".
      Spelling isn't always a sign of pronunciation, even in a syllabary.

      For example, the onbin that produces "-a u" as the end of an adjective
      looks like it should be two sounds ("mora" or syllables), but in fact is
      read as a single mora, "-o", as evidenced from poetry where it fills a line
      count to seven (or five) syllables rather than eight or six.

      Most scholars -- other than those who actually focus on vowel and consonant
      shifts and who try to recreate pre-modern Japanese sound -- read them in a
      more "modern" way. KEFU is not "ke-fu", it's "kyou", and "SHIU" isn't
      "shi-u" but "shu". The common verb ending "fu" is just "u", so the verb
      isn't "omofu, but "omou."

      As to what they *really* said... we just don't know.

      There is occasional speculation. For example, the word "aware" (written in
      old orthography as "a-ha-re"), which is *really* hard to translate, but
      means something like "pity/pathos/sentiment/feeling/???" is believed to
      have originally -- WAY back -- been onomatopoeia, and something akin to a
      sigh, in which case -- at least to a Western/English speaker, "aha..."
      sounds more likely as a pronunciation. But then again, one can *also* sigh
      with a sound more like "aw..." so, again... who knows?

      Effingham
    • Aoi
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 17 7:32 AM
        > As to what they *really* said... we just don't know.
        >
        > There is occasional speculation. For example, the word "aware"
        (written in
        > old orthography as "a-ha-re"), which is *really* hard to translate,
        but
        > means something like "pity/pathos/sentiment/feeling/???" is
        believed to
        > have originally -- WAY back -- been onomatopoeia, and something
        akin to a
        > sigh, in which case -- at least to a Western/English
        speaker, "aha..."
        > sounds more likely as a pronunciation. But then again, one can
        *also* sigh
        > with a sound more like "aw..." so, again... who knows?
        >
        > Effingham

        Dear, dear Effy... You're thinking too hard. =)

        Aoi
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 17 2:01 PM
          Aoi wrote:

          > Dear, dear Effy... You're thinking too hard. =)

          Wouldn't be the first time, my love. I've occasionally overthought an issue
          and totally missed the point of the big picture. >sigh<.

          Edweird
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 17 5:24 PM

            Aoi wrote:

            > Dear, dear Effy...  You're thinking too hard.  =)

            Wouldn't be the first time, my love. I've occasionally overthought an issue
            and totally missed the point of the big picture. >sigh<.

            As long as you learned from it, love...
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 17 6:48 PM
              Kass McGann wrote:

              > > Wouldn't be the first time, my love. I've
              > >occasionally overthought an issue and totally
              > >sigh<.>missed the point of the big picture.

              Well, that is still left to be seen. <G>

              Edward