Re: [SCA-JML] Greetings and many questions...

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
      gavinstuart wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > I have recently gotten back into the SCA (again) and have bailed on
      > my old persona (I was playing it more for my friends than I was for
      > own enjoyment: bad idea...) I've chosen a Japanese persona. I've
      > always been in love with the mindset of the Japanese culture, and I
      > want to explore it as thoroughly as one gaijin can in one lifetime.
      >
      > For starters: a name. I like Ashikaga Yoshimitsu,

      So do I. He was probably one of the best shoguns around.

      > but I have no
      > intimate name. What guidlines, examples, etc. apply to this portion
      > of the name?

      Well, before you go there, you'll have to come up with a new name. Trying to use "Ashikaga Yoshimitsu" is like trying to use "Henry Tudor" or
      "Richard Plantagenet."

      Read my names section in the Miscellany (accessed from <http://www.sengokudaimyo.com>.

      Another point: I think that the name Ashikaga may still be restricted (as "quasi-royal") but I'm not certain of its current status. I hope it's not
      restricted. Like Stewart, not all folks with the same surname had the power.

      > Next: The mon. Does the Ashikaga clan have any common elements in
      > their mons, and of these, are there any of which I might be able to
      > use without breaking too many boundaries regarding supposition of
      > rank and/or presumption?

      If you want to use "Ashikaga," I'd strongly advise that you *not* use any of the elements of the historical Ashikaga family. To refer to the earlier
      Stewart example, one can use the name Stewart, but if his heraldry includes anything alluding to the Scottish arms or the royal Steward arms, it'll
      bounce for presumption.

      > Next: Colors. From what I've read, clan/personal colors are a very
      > important, very complicated procedure. Can someone straighten this
      > one out for me? I'd like to go with red, black, and either silver or
      > gold. Clue me in, please.

      No, they're not important. They're important in books and movies to help audiences keep track of who's who, but in real life, they're not.

      Effingham
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003

        >Another point: I think that the name Ashikaga may still be
        >restricted (as "quasi-royal") but I'm not certain of its current
        >status. I hope it's not
        >restricted. Like Stewart, not all folks with the same surname had the power.

        There is no good reason to restrict Ashikaga. Further, Fujiwara was
        registered a few years back. However, you should not expect to register
        a name which makes you sound like one of the rulers of Japan.

        >If you want to use "Ashikaga," I'd strongly advise that you *not*
        >use any of the elements of the historical Ashikaga family. To refer
        >to the earlier
        >Stewart example, one can use the name Stewart, but if his heraldry
        >includes anything alluding to the Scottish arms or the royal Steward
        >arms, it'll
        >bounce for presumption.

        This is a basic principle of heraldry in the Society. One sure way to get
        your stuff rejected is to make it look like your trying to claim identity
        with some famous historical figure. Lots of people have tried to register
        themselves as Count Dracula in several different languages.

        As for colors. There is iconographic evidence for colour consistency in
        battlefield armoury. There is also iconographic evidence for using up
        to three tinctures. However, there is no significant evidence for
        colour coded livery. In fact, photographs from the Satsuma Rebellion
        suggest just the opposite.

      • Paul Woolsey
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003
          Ok. I was unaware that there was an actual Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. I have been using Yoshimitsu for a while, because I can't seem to find an acceptable family name. Where can I find a list of family names that won't bounce for presumption?

          Yoshi

        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! Most Japanese family names will not bounce for
            presumption. You can be a Tanaka, an Ogawa, Kinoshita, a Morita, &c.