Re: [SCA-JML] geta straps

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2000
      Joshua Badgley wrote:

      > That makes sense. That's why it looks like just a fabric strip, usually.
      >
      > BTW, is this the same thing that is done for helmet straps and
      > such? Where else is this kind of cord used?

      Very similar, but not quite. The helmet cord is just a width of fabric (say 8-12")
      and X yards long, rolled up into a long snake and stitched closed. Sakakibara Kozan
      tells us that there were some armourers (or schools of armour) that would run a
      narrow, flexible chain down the very center of the snake to give a little more
      cut-resistance to the helmet cord. It sounds like a good idea, but it wouldn't be
      much extra protection, I'd think. I'll probably be doing that in my "master work"
      helmets just to be anally accurate. <G>

      Off the top of my head, other than geta, the only other instance of such strap with
      rope inside that I can think of is the "ear pieces" and "head ring" inside jingasa
      and kasa, as the rope is nice and strong and the cloth is softer to the head and
      cheeks.