Re: third try at a name

  • John
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 2, 2003
      Anthony,
      Yeah, i see your point, I tried to correct that in my next four tries..LOL
    • James Eckman
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 4, 2003

        > From: "Sean Malloy" <srmalloy@...>
        >

        >Isn't there a subtype of Japanese humor that exploits the wealth of
        >homophones by replacing characters in a word or name so that it
        >_sounds_ the same but the changed characters mean something
        >completely different?

        Yes, they have puns. I think you can find at least one homonym on every
        page of a Japanese dictionary and I've seen at least one TV series that
        the protaganist has to rip out several bad explanations based on them.
        For example, the word fling and wind chime sound alike, imagine that in
        a comedy setting. I've also seen characters substituted for 'cute'
        effects in ads. Enough said :) Anthony can tell us about ancient usage,
        oops he already did!

        Jim