Re: [SCA-JML] second try at a name

    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 1, 2003
      John wrote:

      > > If by 'Tetsutora' you are looking for the nanori, or famous name (e.g.
      > > Ieyasu, Nobunaga, etc.) it needs to be the last of the three, and
      > I'm not
      > > sure I've seen that concept put together before for a nanori. You
      > do have
      > > the syllabic structure correct, however, as well as the use of two
      > kanji
      > > pronounced with kun-yomi readings, which seems to be the norm.
      >
      > Well, i was going for "iron tiger"
      > tetsu= iron
      > tora= tiger
      >
      > hence tesutora
      >
      > But i looked at a website for names, and it wasnt listed.
      >
      > ok, no problem.
      >
      > lets try this:
      >
      > Odawara no takahashi isamashii
      >
      > which translates (i believe ) as :
      >
      > Takahashi the courageous of Odawara

      Three problems.

      (1) There is no evidence that Japanese ever formed names as "of [some given place]." They may be *from* that place,
      and occasionally thus referenced, but it would not function as a *name* in the same sense that "John of Gaunt" or
      "Edward of Effingham" function as names. Basically, it just wouldn't work.

      (2) Bynames, when used with given-names, go *before* the given name (thus, "Isamashii [given name]." Using proper
      medieval grammar, however, the appositive of the historical adjective "Isamashi" would be "Isamashiki [given name]."
      Be warned, however, that in old Japanese, "Isamashi" doesn't mean "brave": it means "excited."

      (3) The big problem is that Takahashi isn't a given name. It's a surname.

      Have you read my (very basic intro to) Japanese names page? It's in the Miscellany, which you can access from
      <http://www.sengokudaimyo.com>. Once you've read that, you'll have a better idea at how names go together.

      Effingham
    • James Eckman
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 4, 2003

        > From: "Sean Malloy" <srmalloy@...>
        >

        >Isn't there a subtype of Japanese humor that exploits the wealth of
        >homophones by replacing characters in a word or name so that it
        >_sounds_ the same but the changed characters mean something
        >completely different?

        Yes, they have puns. I think you can find at least one homonym on every
        page of a Japanese dictionary and I've seen at least one TV series that
        the protaganist has to rip out several bad explanations based on them.
        For example, the word fling and wind chime sound alike, imagine that in
        a comedy setting. I've also seen characters substituted for 'cute'
        effects in ads. Enough said :) Anthony can tell us about ancient usage,
        oops he already did!

        Jim