second try at a name

  • John
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 1, 2003
      > If by 'Tetsutora' you are looking for the nanori, or famous name (e.g.
      > Ieyasu, Nobunaga, etc.) it needs to be the last of the three, and
      I'm not
      > sure I've seen that concept put together before for a nanori. You
      do have
      > the syllabic structure correct, however, as well as the use of two
      kanji
      > pronounced with kun-yomi readings, which seems to be the norm.

      Well, i was going for "iron tiger"
      tetsu= iron
      tora= tiger

      hence tesutora

      But i looked at a website for names, and it wasnt listed.

      ok, no problem.

      lets try this:

      Odawara no takahashi isamashii

      which translates (i believe ) as :

      Takahashi the courageous of Odawara

      how's that?
    • James Eckman
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 4, 2003

        > From: "Sean Malloy" <srmalloy@...>
        >

        >Isn't there a subtype of Japanese humor that exploits the wealth of
        >homophones by replacing characters in a word or name so that it
        >_sounds_ the same but the changed characters mean something
        >completely different?

        Yes, they have puns. I think you can find at least one homonym on every
        page of a Japanese dictionary and I've seen at least one TV series that
        the protaganist has to rip out several bad explanations based on them.
        For example, the word fling and wind chime sound alike, imagine that in
        a comedy setting. I've also seen characters substituted for 'cute'
        effects in ads. Enough said :) Anthony can tell us about ancient usage,
        oops he already did!

        Jim