Re: My Mon

  • Jason Silver
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1 8:30 PM
      Greetings!

      Solveig, I have gotten my hands on the book you suggested not to look
      at, it has helped some what.. But I have been attempting to get my
      hands on the book you DO suggest but I am having some trouble..

      Would you happen to have a ISBN number for the book? It might help me
      locate it.

      Imakawa Shirou Yoshitaka

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Please do not bother with that book. If you
      have
      > access to a research library you should look for the following book:
      >
      > Hashimoto, Hiroshi. Daibukan Vol 1.
      >
      > Everything up to page 209 is period.
      > --
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar
      >
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
      CoS |
      > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
      Est |
      > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
      > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
      to |
      > | the trash by my email
      filters. |
      > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
      ---+
    • Solveig
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1 10:17 PM
        Noble Cousin!

        Greetings from Solveig. Daibukan by Hashimoto is too old to have an ISBN.
        Copies are held by the following libraries:

        NY COLUMBIA UNIV, E ASIAN ZCA
        NY CORNELL UNIV COO
        CA HOOVER INST ON WAR, REVOLUTION & PEACE HIN
        CA UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY CUY
        CA UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, DAVIS, SHIELDS LIBR CUV
        CA UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA BARBARA CUT
        CT YALE UNIV LIBR YUS
        IL NORTHWESTERN UNIV INU
        IL UNIV OF CHICAGO CGU
        IN INDIANA UNIV IUL
        MA AMHERST COL AMH
        MA HARVARD UNIV, YENCHING LIBR HMY
        MA UNIV OF MASSACHUSETTS AMHERST AUM
        MN UNIV OF MINNESOTA, MINNEAPOLIS MNU
        NC DUKE UNIV LIBR NDD
        NJ PRINCETON UNIV PUL
        PA UNIV OF PENNSYLVANIA PAU
        PA UNIV OF PITTSBURGH PIT
        WI UNIV OF WISCONSIN, MADISON, GEN LIBR SYS GZM
        AS UNIV OF AUCKLAND LIBR UV0
        AS WASEDA UNIV LIBR LWU

        Title: Daibukan /
        Author(s): Hashimoto, Hiroshi.
        Publication: Tokyo : Meicho Kankokai,
        Edition: Kaitei zoho.
        Year: 1965
        Language: Japanese (Show vernacular)
        SUBJECT(S)
        Descriptor: Heraldry -- Japan.
        Feudalism -- Japan -- History -- Sources.
        Geographic: Japan -- Genealogy.
        Note(s): Includes index.
        Class Descriptors: LC: CS1304
        Other Titles: Kaitei zoho Daibukan
        Responsibility: [hensha Hashimoto Hiroshi ; Tokutomi Soho jo]
        Document Type: Book
        Entry: 19880427
        Update: 20010824
        Accession No: OCLC: 24981845
        Database: WorldCat

      • Solveig
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5 7:55 AM
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solvieg!

          I do have a suggestion.

          1) Japanese did not generally use colour in the way that you are using
          in their designs. Enclosing circles are unusual before 1600. The
          combination of dots and the fan is also unusual. In herald speak,
          you have three "weirdnesses". Generally speaking, the CoA tries
          to discourage "weirdness" and limits people to at most one. However,
          the CoA will judge the thing based on Anglo-Norman heraldry and
          those things which are "weird" by Japanese standards, but normative
          by Anglo-Norman standards will pass under their radar. The CoA will
          probably just grumble slightly about how you are using the four balls.
          Incidentally, Japanese fans are more typically shown fully open rather
          than half open.

          Important CoA Note. You will have to pick a background colour in
          order to register this design with the College of Arms. The College
          of Arms has taken it into their heads that badges are supposed to
          be solid pieces of metal. Consequently, they are not registering
          badges which are both disconnected and lack a background. This is
          why it is best to pick a single Japanese charge. Doing so allows
          you to print it all over any kind of background you want.