Three Generals

  • J. Kriss White
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2000
      There's an impressive mural over the sushi bar "Sumo Bistro" in Long Beach,
      CA, showing a thunderous samurai cavalry charge, with three daimyo out in
      front leading the charge. One, I think I recognized as Oda Nobunaga. I
      think the other two are Hideyoshi and Takeda Shingen, and that this is a
      romanticized (I doubt the generals were charging at the head of their
      troops in the mid-1500s) depiction of the battle that put Hideyoshi in
      power, but all of my Japanese references are still packed in a box
      somewhere for the last couple of years. Would somebody please post a few
      things about that battle? Am I confusing them with other daimyo? It might
      be the battle of Sekigahara instead. The one I think is Nobunaga is
      depicted with a curiously almost-pointed helm, which I believe I've seen
      him depicted with elsewhere, and has a crescent on the front of the helm
      with both points downward. The daimyo in the middle has a trident-head on
      his helm. The third one had something like a clover leaf design on his.

      Sadly, neither the sushi chefs nor the manager knew the significance of it,
      and the manager said the owner had told him it was "probably some
      battle"... The manager was really interested that I thought I knew
      something about it, and I'm going back there next week, so... :-)

      Livin' la vida meshuggah,
      Lord Daveed of Granada, mka J. Kriss White,
      Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
      email - jkrissw@... || AOL IM - jkrissw || ICQ #1824702
      (hobbies & interests web page: <http://members.aol.com/JkrissW/index.html>)