Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1088

  • Solveig
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2003

      > > Greetings from Solveig! It was very very unusual for a Japanese to want
      >to be ronin.
      >
      >You mean something's changed ;) They still don't want to become
      >ronin. Nowadays it means a student attempting to enter a college and
      >waiting to retake the exams.

      The emerging trend in the late 80's was for parents to place their
      children in selective nurseries which had connections with prestigous
      universities thereby avoiding the examination system. This sort of
      thing echoes the decline of state examinations under the ritsuryou
      system. Of course, nothing much has changed. And, yes "ronin" is
      slang for students who failed their university entrance examinations.
      Bottom line, it is very very unusual for any Japanese to want to be
      a ronin.