Re: Greetings All

  • John
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 8:54 AM
      Sloveig,
      You make a fine point, and one that I hadn't considered before.

      From the opinions i have heard here, and my own thoughts, I think I
      will go the route of a samurai sent into the world to learn the ways
      of the new barbarians.

      Knowledge is power after all.

      Particuarly since, my leige lord, being a very wise leader, realized
      that should the time come when we would have to battle them, we
      Japanese would need to know how they fought and lived.

      Ok, i have the backstory, now I just need to pick a
      name............................

      Thanks so much for your views

      Humbly,
      Mox
    • Richard Brooks
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 10:04 AM
        John wrote:

        > Particuarly since, my leige lord, being a very wise leader, realized
        > that should the time come when we would have to battle them, we
        > Japanese would need to know how they fought and lived.

        This sounds similar to mine..My persona is that of a Momoyama period
        Samurai woman, a warrior born roughly around 1570. Her whole life, her
        country has had contact with these nanban from foreign lands, and as of
        yet, she is unsure what to think of these visitors. Some of her people
        think this contact is a good thing, others fear it could be the prelude
        to a hostile takeover or worse. So she's decided, with the blessings of
        her clan to investigate, to learn what she can of them.

        -Hirokawa no Tsuru
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1 1:22 PM

          > Yeah, I am aware of the stigma of being masterless, since a samurai's
          > life was to serve his liege lord, but it is hard to come up with a
          > plausable back story to explain one's presense in Europe.

          I say...(IMHO) don't explain...

          Since the SCA world is as topsy-turvey as it is, and since there are
          so many anomolies...so many "Anachronisms..." then relax.

          There is no realistic way to explain any divergence, even in a
          "society" devoted to a single year:ie -1400...et al...

          A society based on a multiple time frame...(SCA Time frame being 800 -
          1600 ad) must be willing to accept the anachronisms of the various
          locational participants...

          I never did buy into the "...it's only a European..." thing...but I
          see how much the SCA has potential for...

          If you want to be a Japanese persona in the SCA...then I say do not
          try to justify it...you cannot historically justify it, under SCA
          charter... Instead, dive in and research to your heart's content...

          Stand up and say..."This is how Japanese history was...and that's what
          I am researching......ain't it fun!!!"

          The world was bigger than Europe...just as the world was bigger, and
          more round than in Christobal Columbus' time...
          ...And it was all connected...

          The SCA has a reasonably long, time honored tradition, and functioning
          in that society ("you buy the premise...you buy the bit <Heinlin>) we
          should bow to some traditions...just remember these are SCA
          traditions...born in a modern world, and not the historical past...

          ...Yet we are not recreating any one single aspect of European
          civilization...(in one single time frame) so I see no reason to try to
          "explain" a Japanese presence in a European world...with so many
          anachronisms, there is no need to...

          ...The SCA has built itself into a "not european" corner...and must
          live with it...
          For instance... One cannot justify a 13th cent. Crusader standing next
          to a Celt...or a Landshckenect standing next to a kilt-clad Highlander...
          ...One cannot justify Roman Centurians standing beside Turks or
          soldiers from the Ottoman Empire...yet you see those on our battle
          fields...

          Embrace what you enjoy as far as Asian research...but you would be
          more honest not trying to invent a justification for a "ronin
          wandering europe to find the reality of the world..." kind of story...

          Norman French (example...) do not have the only view of the
          world...and I personally see no reason to live only with that kind of
          view of the world...

          (author's note...I know some Normans...and their views do not entirely
          fit with mine...nor mine fit with theirs...yet we live together...at
          stick's length...hehehe...)

          Date Saburou Yukiie
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1 4:07 PM
            On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, John wrote:

            > Ok, i have the backstory, now I just need to pick a
            > name............................

            I recommend the archives on that subject. Should be LOTS of material by
            now!

            -Ii
          • Solveig
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 1 9:40 PM

              >A society based on a multiple time frame...(SCA Time frame being 800 -
              >1600 ad) must be willing to accept the anachronisms of the various
              >locational participants...

              As much as I may like Karl der Gross, last time I looked, there still
              was no early-period cut-off in the Society's governing documnets.
              800 is not a particularly good cut-off anyway as you miss out on
              some interesting "dark ages" stuff. Yes, you can argue that the
              chivalry got their start with Karl der Gross, but there is so much
              more going on.

              >Stand up and say..."This is how Japanese history was...and that's what
              >I am researching......ain't it fun!!!"

              Hear! Hear! Well said!

              >...The SCA has built itself into a "not european" corner...and must
              >live with it...

              At least as early ca June AS III when the East Kingdom had its very
              first event. The East Kingdom has always had Japanese. From the very
              begining.