Re: [SCA-JML] Effingham greek orthodox????

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31 11:06 AM
      Solveig wrote:

      > Baron Edward!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > >Ah, you're never "ex." (Something I picked up from an RC priest I
      > >once knew <G>).
      >
      > Doesn't the RC Church prefer to call such people apostates, and didn't they
      > use to arrange for them to star in auto de fe?

      Not these days. There's a long-standing line -- almost an in-joke -- that there's really no such thing as an ex-Catholic (as you can never really
      take the Church out of someone). Of course, that's a rather old line, more common in the 70s and 80s, and these days I'm pretty sure that there *are*
      some exes out there. <G>

      > How about the Orthodox? Did
      > they have similar public demonstractions of faith?

      We used to (and still do) excommunicate, but we never really went in for inquisitions. It appeared from time to time (most notably during the
      dealings with the Latins when the whole Church seemed to be sliding into the Latin sphere -- that's where St. Maximos the Confessor was tortured for
      his faith. The difference was that St. Maximos was the Orthodox hold out, and the Inquisitors were pro-Roman "Orthodox" clergy.