Re: [SCA-JML] geta straps

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 bambooni@... wrote:

      > Hey everybody,
      > I have a question. What kind of straps go on geta. Is it braided
      > leather,,silk,,twine???
      > I was down in my shop the other night playing around and I made a pair of
      > geta. Since I've never seen a pair in person they look pretty bad. But it led
      > me to the question,,,anybody got any suggestions???

      It seems that the most common, IIRC, is using some sort of material
      (probably silk, I don't know for sure) or I have seen some with just straw
      ropes. The latter were definitely modern, however, and I don't know if
      that would have been used in period.

      Out of curiousity, how did you make them? At one museum here I saw an
      explanation on how to make them out of a single block of wood. You ended
      up with the first cut about 1/3 into the wood, then cut down, across 1/6,
      up, across 1/6, down, and then 1/3 acrooss and they came out

      | || ||

      Something like this, although I can't show it well.

      Oops. gotta run.

      Gambatte!

      -Godric Logan