Re: [SCA-JML] geta straps

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
      bambooni@... wrote:

      > Hey everybody,
      > I have a question. What kind of straps go on geta. Is it braided
      > leather,,silk,,twine???
      > I was down in my shop the other night playing around and I made a pair of
      > geta. Since I've never seen a pair in person they look pretty bad. But it led
      > me to the question,,,anybody got any suggestions???

      They're rope, or thick twine, over which is sewn a tube of soft fabric. The
      strap only goes side to side, though, grabbed in front by the loop of the toe
      hold. The toe-hold itself is a wadding of cloth.

      Effingham
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
        On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > bambooni@... wrote:
        >
        > > Hey everybody,
        > > I have a question. What kind of straps go on geta. Is it braided
        > > leather,,silk,,twine???
        > > I was down in my shop the other night playing around and I made a pair of
        > > geta. Since I've never seen a pair in person they look pretty bad. But it led
        > > me to the question,,,anybody got any suggestions???
        >
        > They're rope, or thick twine, over which is sewn a tube of soft fabric. The
        > strap only goes side to side, though, grabbed in front by the loop of the toe
        > hold. The toe-hold itself is a wadding of cloth.

        That makes sense. That's why it looks like just a fabric strip, usually.

        BTW, is this the same thing that is done for helmet straps and
        such? Where else is this kind of cord used?

        -Godric Logan
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2000
          Joshua Badgley wrote:

          > That makes sense. That's why it looks like just a fabric strip, usually.
          >
          > BTW, is this the same thing that is done for helmet straps and
          > such? Where else is this kind of cord used?

          Very similar, but not quite. The helmet cord is just a width of fabric (say 8-12")
          and X yards long, rolled up into a long snake and stitched closed. Sakakibara Kozan
          tells us that there were some armourers (or schools of armour) that would run a
          narrow, flexible chain down the very center of the snake to give a little more
          cut-resistance to the helmet cord. It sounds like a good idea, but it wouldn't be
          much extra protection, I'd think. I'll probably be doing that in my "master work"
          helmets just to be anally accurate. <G>

          Off the top of my head, other than geta, the only other instance of such strap with
          rope inside that I can think of is the "ear pieces" and "head ring" inside jingasa
          and kasa, as the rope is nice and strong and the cloth is softer to the head and
          cheeks.