geta straps

  • bambooni@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
      Hey everybody,
      I have a question. What kind of straps go on geta. Is it braided
      leather,,silk,,twine???
      I was down in my shop the other night playing around and I made a pair of
      geta. Since I've never seen a pair in person they look pretty bad. But it led
      me to the question,,,anybody got any suggestions???

      Takabayashi Genpachi
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2000
        On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 bambooni@... wrote:

        > Hey everybody,
        > I have a question. What kind of straps go on geta. Is it braided
        > leather,,silk,,twine???
        > I was down in my shop the other night playing around and I made a pair of
        > geta. Since I've never seen a pair in person they look pretty bad. But it led
        > me to the question,,,anybody got any suggestions???

        It seems that the most common, IIRC, is using some sort of material
        (probably silk, I don't know for sure) or I have seen some with just straw
        ropes. The latter were definitely modern, however, and I don't know if
        that would have been used in period.

        Out of curiousity, how did you make them? At one museum here I saw an
        explanation on how to make them out of a single block of wood. You ended
        up with the first cut about 1/3 into the wood, then cut down, across 1/6,
        up, across 1/6, down, and then 1/3 acrooss and they came out

        | || ||

        Something like this, although I can't show it well.

        Oops. gotta run.

        Gambatte!

        -Godric Logan