9487Re: Paper on plate?

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Apr 29, 2003
      Klaus,
      The surface of the plate or scale is "keyed" with a rough file or
      abrasive, then a coating of lacquer is applied as an adhesive. The
      paper (usually a mulbery paper, if I am not mistaken) is put down on
      this when the lacquer is still wet, forming a bond. It is then given
      another thin coat of wet lacquer.
      When all is dry, the lacquer is reenforced with the paper, like rebarb
      reenforces concrete. That is polished to a smooth finish, and several
      more coats of lacquer are applied, letting each dry, and polishing
      before application. The final coats of lacquer had carbon, or other
      colorings added, even including powdered metals, such as silver or
      gold filings,possibly finished off with a coating of clear lacquer to
      give a deapth to the sheen.
      This is how I understand the process.
      Humidity was always a problem during the drying period, and could
      cloud or alter the finish, and effect the hardness.

      PS. I like your web site!

      Date Saburou Yukiie
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
      http://www.kabutographics.com
      kabuto@...

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Marko Peussa" <marko.peussa@k...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > It was mentioned by one of my kyudo teachers that Japanese armor
      > plates could be first covered by (Japanese) paper and then lacquered.
      > Any ideas how this was done?
      >
      > Apparently the previous headmaster of our Ryu used this tehcnique for
      > his armor. Asking him about it is a little bit difficult because he
      > passed away few years ago.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Klaus
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic