9350Re: [SCA-JML] Squire ceremony

  • Solveig
    Apr 1, 2003
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! It depends upon how you view the relationship.
      If you are simply contracting with him for instruction, then you can
      simply be introduced by an intermediary, give your background in which
      you of course state that you are unskilled and unworthy, and ask him to
      teach you. You offer him a present which is money wrapped in paper and
      placed on some sort of tray. The knight gives you a present back. This
      is pretty standard acquiring a teacher ritual.

      If you are entering employment and the knights household, then the knight
      is obliged to clothe you. The knight should therefore give you a set of
      livery or sufficient cloth in the appropriate colors of the household
      for you to make livery for yourself. And, no, a red belt is not enough.
      If this scenario, you do not offer payment. However, you still exchange
      gifts twice a year.

      Finally, it is rude to directly discuss payment. The knight can of course
      be generous and grant you shiki rights stated in koku.

      The knight may invite you to a sake ceremony. Since the knight is the
      superior and you are entering the knights house, the knight must play
      the role of host not guest.