9218Re: [SCA-JML] Seperate questions about armour

  • Ii Saburou
    Mar 3, 2003
      On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Ash Smith wrote:

      > Anyway, I currently tell a good/light shot by feeling the force and sting
      > through my armor (or feeling it where I have no armor :P ), and am worried
      > that I won't properly call others' shots with what looks like it is going to
      > be some massive armor hehe.
      >
      > Any thoughts on this matter?

      I call just about anything I hear. Does this mean I sometimes call things
      too light? Yes, and I trust my opponent's honor to tell me otherwise.
      Does this mean I sometimes don't hear or feel things--rarely, and I trust
      my opponent's honor to forgive such lapses.

      I have only once had a time where an opponent mentioned that I did not
      seem notice a good blow. I was stepping forward, hitting my opponent, hit
      his shield and was bounced off at the same time he hit me. The
      combination of noise and commotion was too much and his blow felt, to me,
      as though I had run into him or his shield, not his sword (and he was so
      quick, I thought his sword was elsewhere when it landed).

      Personally, I am of the mind that one should strive not to be hit at all,
      and so calling the lighter shots will force me to acquire more skill. I
      may be off in this thinking, but that's how I feel.

      Furthermore, I don't think pain should be a gauge. A good blow will give
      you momentum, and you should 'feel' it land, just not be hurt by it. That
      is, after all, the nature of armour.