9085Re: [SCA-JML] Emon information

    Feb 19, 2003
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      > > Fascinating stuff. God, I love this.
      > >
      > > Could you quote your original text here? I want to make sure I've got it
      > > right.@
      > >
      > > For example, mine has text to the effect, "...Yamashina ryuu wa kore wo
      > > keishou shite uchi futa-seki wo otoshiya toshite ori..." ("...following this,
      > > the Yamashino school makes two arrows [of their total of 22) as otoshiya.") I
      > > think your 2 "uchiya" may actually be "--- uchi futa-seki", "two arrows out
      > > of ---"
      > Yes, it was:
      > Uchi, otoshiya ippon (of this, one is otoshiya)
      > Uchi, otoshiya nihon (of this, two are otoshiya)
      > That makes more sense. Do to the fact that everything is written in very
      > abbreviated speech, I was thinking that it was two types of ya--uchi and
      > otoshi (like the 'yon, gonin' instead of 'yonin, gonin').

      B'lieve me, that's an easy one to make. I do it alla damn time. Grrr.

      > > > Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I found it fascinating. I would
      > > > appreciate it if anyone out there can clear up some of the questions (such
      > > > as 'Uchiya', 'Ochiya', and 'gosaku').
      > >
      > > I can't lay my hands on any "ochiya."
      > >
      > > Probably a misread.? "otoshiya" --> "uwaya/uwazashinoya" --> "arrows
      > > attached in a quiver. Uses kakimata" (Kakimata is the U-shaped arrowhead).
      > Yeah. I was thinking 'ochiru' instead of 'otoshiya' So, is it pronounced
      > 'uwaya', then, or is that just another name for it?

      Just another name for it. When the Daijirin gave "uwazashinoya" as a definition
      for "otoshiya" I had a moment of fear that the definition of "uwazashinoya" would
      be "otoshiya." <G> Fortunately, that was not the case.

      (BTW, another definition of "otoshiya" is "an arrow shot down from above." That
      one makes sense, doesn't it? <G>)

      > > "Uchiya" is also Uchine, an arrow for throwing. Apparently, anyway...
      > Hmmm... I doubt this is what it was. It used the 'nai' (inside) kanji,
      > not the 'utsu' kanji.

      I didn't think so. This is the wrong period for uchiya. (Which, BTW, is sometimes
      written with the kanji "uchi = inside" (apparently merely for phonic value) but
      more commonly "uchi = strike". This would make a useful weapon for fighters who
      want to engage *and* do missile work while in the field -- one doesn't need a bow,
      just a good throwing arm.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic