9080Re: [SCA-JML] Emon information

    Feb 19, 2003
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > I thought I would share the results of my recents studies. I am in the
      > middle of finding information on sekitai* and came across a bit on 'Emon'
      > in "Nihon fukushokushi jiten" (Japanese Clothing History Dictionary)

      Fascinating stuff. God, I love this.

      > According to the dictionary, 'Emon' refers to methods of wearing sokutai.
      > They seem to have arisen towards the end of the Fujiwara Period as rules
      > became stricter in great part (according to this source) to Toba Tennou.
      > The foundation of the Emon movement seems to have come from Minamoto
      > Arini (? 'Aru' + 'Nin'? There wasn't any furigana and I've not seen
      > 'Nin' in names before that I can recall)

      Minamoto no Arihito. This is the same "-hito" that runs in the Imperial line.
      (Given that he was a Minamoto, it's no surprise. <G>)

      > Y: The thread of the h should be the white for auspicious occassions
      > (Kitsu no toki), and the same color as the fabric for inauspicious
      > occassions (Ky no toki) [maybe celebration and mourning would be better
      > translations?]

      I'd say "auspicious" and "inauspicious." I assume that they're taking the
      kyuu no toki to also include taboo days and so forth.

      > T: The number of arrows in the quiver should be:
      > Hirayanagui: 15 arrows (1 each of 'Uchiya'(?) and 'Ochiya'(?))
      > Tsuboyanagui: 7 arrows (1 each of 'Uchiya' and 'Ochiya')
      > Y: Hirayanagui: 22 arrows (2 each of 'Uchiya' and 'Ochiya')
      > Tsuboyanagui: 7 arrows (1 each of 'Uchiya' and 'Ochiya')

      Could you quote your original text here? I want to make sure I've got it
      right.@

      For example, mine has text to the effect, "...Yamashina ryuu wa kore wo
      keishou shite uchi futa-seki wo otoshiya toshite ori..." ("...following this,
      the Yamashino school makes two arrows [of their total of 22) as otoshiya.") I
      think your 2 "uchiya" may actually be "--- uchi futa-seki", "two arrows out
      of ---"

      My primary source has :

      Takakura-ryuu:
      Hirayanagui: 15 (of these, 1 is otoshiya)
      Tsuboyanagui: 7 (of these, 1 is otoshiya)
      Yamashina-ryuu:
      Hirayanagui: 22 (of these, 2 are otoshiya)
      Tsuboyanagui: 7 (of these, 1 is otoshiya)

      > Not sure if this is useful to anyone, but I found it fascinating. I would
      > appreciate it if anyone out there can clear up some of the questions (such
      > as 'Uchiya', 'Ochiya', and 'gosaku').

      I can't lay my hands on any "ochiya."

      Probably a misread.? "otoshiya" --> "uwaya/uwazashinoya" --> "arrows
      attached in a quiver. Uses kakimata" (Kakimata is the U-shaped arrowhead).

      "Uchiya" is also Uchine, an arrow for throwing. Apparently, anyway...

      Gosaku we've already dealt with.