      From: James Eckman
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2003 8:41 AM
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Tenkoku

      sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > From: Debbie Strub <tsuruko@...>
      >
      > I'm researching Japanese seals with the intent of making one for myself to
      >"sign" Baronial scrolls. Does anyone know where I can find information on
      >writing the Tensho script? I've done some internet research and found lots
      >of places that will make one for me but I want to make it myself. Any ideas?

      I don't know of any places that have such a thing on-line but here's a
      few links to get started.
      http://pages.prodigy.net/fugu/sumi.html
      http://www.zhongwen.com/

      Seal carving's not that difficult other than designing the actual seal,
      I do remember a website that showed how to do it and in San Francisco at
      least you can buy blank seals at many stores.

      > From: Ii Saburou <logan@...>
      >
      >I would also recommend looking into differences between modern and ancient
      >seals--I'm not sure what changes may have happened, but it might be a good
      >thing to look into.

      There are changes, but some people continue using the more archaic
      styles as well so there are character dictionaries for drawing them
      available as books. Note, I've never seen that info on line so pass on
      any links you find!

      > From: Solveig <nostrand@...>
      >Subject: Re: Tenkoku
      >
      >Noble Cousin!
      >
      >Greetings from Solveig! Seals are interesting. Some old seals produce
      >impressions exhibiting mirror writing. Seals in general are eith deko
      >or boko depending on whether it produces a positive or negative image.
      >I believe that positive seals are prefered for attesting documents.

      I don't know what the ancient customs for that are, but I've seen both
      used for recent items.

      >I have a Japanese book on how to carve inkan. Originally, I carved them
      >out of stone and have the correct tools for doing so. However, a friend
      >warned me of silicosis

      I can't imagine getting silicosis if you are using a seal carving knife,
      the pieces that are carved off are way too big. I don't recommend dremel
      tools unless you are really good with them and then I would use a mask.

      >and I switched to wood years ago. Seals were
      >commonly made out of metal, ivory, wood, and stone.

      You can cheat and use linoleum as well! Easily available at places like
      Micheals. Please don't buy new ivory for carving. You could try Corian
      scraps as an ivory replacement if you wanted that look.

      Also note that most seal ink is highly toxic, don't leave it around
      small children!

      Jim Eckman

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor