8947Re: [SCA-JML] Looking for suggestions for Kofun and Yayoi.

  • Solveig
    Dec 23, 2002
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      >Because the kings also had sacerdotal roles does not mean all priest have
      >royal ones.

      We are talking about a time largely before historical records. A lot
      of proto-historical
      stuff in Japan does unify secular leadership and sectarian
      leadership. This is also fairly
      common cross-cultural thinking. Positing a significant division of
      labour just to
      justify doing something in the Society appears less than reasonable to me.

      >The Emperors in Rome were the chief high priests (that whole "rex et
      >sacerdos" thing), and there sure as hell were hundreds of other priests
      >running around.

      The Roman emperors are a bad example and you know it. The Roman emperors are
      post-republican and a long long time after the sort of
      social/political organization
      being discussed.