8941Re: [SCA-JML] Looking for suggestions for Kofun and Yayoi.

    Dec 22, 2002
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Yayoi culture does not mark "large scale rice
      > cultivation" it marks rice cultivation period.

      Let's not start this one again. <G>

      Even the experts are unclear on the timing involved.

      > The problem with claiming to be a priest is the generally accepted
      > notion of the unity between the priesthood and kingship in pre-imperial
      > Japanese Society. The Society for Creative Anachronism does not in
      > general support free assumption of princely status.

      To quote my late Uncle Bob, "Pish-tosh!"

      Because the kings also had sacerdotal roles does not mean all priest have
      royal ones.

      By this logic, every single shrine in Japan was headed by a king, and we
      *know* that wasn't the case.

      The Emperors in Rome were the chief high priests (that whole "rex et
      sacerdos" thing), and there sure as hell were hundreds of other priests
      running around.