8938Re: Looking for suggestions for Kofun and Yayoi.

  • daviem01 <ellen.m.davis@att.net>
    Dec 21, 2002
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...>
      wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Yayoi culture does not mark "large scale
      rice
      > cultivation" it marks rice cultivation period.

      Depends on how you define "large scale", I guess, but I'm not getting
      into this discussion again, at least not right now. <g>

      > The problem with claiming to be a priest is the generally accepted
      > notion of the unity between the priesthood and kingship in pre-
      imperial
      > Japanese Society. The Society for Creative Anachronism does not in
      > general support free assumption of princely status.

      There's a difference between claiming to be THE reigning
      shaman/shamaness/priest-king of a group, and claiming to be A priest
      or of a priestly family. I would of course go for the latter, as a
      distant cousin/servant/assistant to our local leader. As I belong to
      a be that has become known for its skilled divinations (or what have
      you), and as I have shown some meager talent for that practice, I
      have been sent to assist my ruler in the smaller day-to-day
      ceremonies that keep life functioning smoothly.

      (After all, according to the Gishi-wajinden, Himiko of Wa had 1000
      female servants who came to serve her "willingly"! ^.^ )

      Besides, aren't members of the SCA assumed by default to be minor
      nobility? What I am thinking would, in my opinion, be an appropriate
      equivalent.

      > I assume therefore that you are from before the tumulus period. This
      > is seriously prehistoric. Yes, there is the Wei chronicle, but that
      > hardly makes the period historic in Japan.

      Well, where is it defined in the governing documents that one must
      represent a persona from a "historic" (literate) culture? Besides,
      AFAIK writing didn't really take on until late Kofun anyway...most of
      what we know before Asuka is from archeological or non-Japanese
      historical evidence, so Kofun is arguably no more prehistoric than
      Yayoi.

      After all: "The SCA period is defined to be Western civilization
      before 1600 AD, concentrating on the Western European High Middle
      Ages." To reiterate what has been said too many times already--
      going by that rule, very few of us on this list belong in the SCA.

      -Aine
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic