8937Re: [SCA-JML] Looking for suggestions for Kofun and Yayoi.

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Dec 21, 2002

      Greetings from Solveig! Yayoi culture does not mark "large scale rice
      cultivation" it marks rice cultivation period. By the tumulus period
      we definitely have priest-kings of some sort. The priest-kings appear
      to extend up to the time when the government was reorganized along
      Chinese lines. Abandoning the misasagi is probably related to the
      introduction of Buddhism among the nobility. Placing yourself in the
      Kansai area places you more toward the tail end of the Yayoi period.

      >-Job/Family: a member of a priestly organization, lineage or
      >corporation. The problem here is that we know about a large number
      >of the uji (lineages/clans) and be ("corporations"/guilds) in early
      >Japan, but I haven't yet been able to pin down exactly when those
      >actually APPEARED, and none of the books I've consulted has been
      >precise on that subject.

      The problem with claiming to be a priest is the generally accepted
      notion of the unity between the priesthood and kingship in pre-imperial
      Japanese Society. The Society for Creative Anachronism does not in
      general support free assumption of princely status.

      > For example, I was thinking of becoming one of the Nakatomi, the
      >uji that later became the Fujiwara.

      You can be a member of the Nakatomi uji. That does not make you
      priestly. Incidentally, only part of the Nakatomi necessarily
      became Fujiwara. As for the Kojiki, the Kojiki was compiled after
      the emergence of imperial government in Japan. The Kojiki is not
      necessarily reflecting a need to legitimize connection with the
      Imperial family, but more a system in which the kuge families are
      organized.

      > However, there are several other "guilds" that could be
      >appropriate,

      Yes. You could belong to a be instead of a uji. Be membership was
      quite common and remained in census records for a considerable time.

      > In any event, wherever I came from, I was sent by my cousin, the
      >head of our lineage, as an envoy to the Laurel Kingdoms of the Known
      >World. I am farther from my clan's homeland than I have ever been,
      >but I have experienced many amazing opportunities. For example, I
      >have seen horses with my own eyes (they are only stories where I come
      >from)!

      I assume therefore that you are from before the tumulus period. This
      is seriously prehistoric. Yes, there is the Wei chronicle, but that
      hardly makes the period historic in Japan.