8826Re: [SCA-JML] Specific name questions

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Dec 1, 2002
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      >It was common to attach a third kanji to yobina, and in those cases
      >the "rou" was
      >sometimes dropped. Note, however, that "Ryûtarô" is a different name
      >than "Ryûta"
      >-- it's not a nickname, it's a variant name. Like the difference, perhaps,
      >between "Jonathan" and "John" as given on baptismal certs.

      One example which springs to mind is Genta which drops the rou. We pretty
      much only see this shortening of names to two knaji and not to a single kanji.
      Yes, I have a copy of "Ue wo muita". For a variety of reasons, I believe that
      the -rou suffix was originally titular. However, it has long ago lost its
      function and is now sort of an appendix on these names.