Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

8211Re: Archery Gear

Expand Messages
  • toshio
    Sep 1, 2002
      The word you are looking for is "mukabaki."
      There is a great picture at the following website:
      [The samurai also wears a cover of deer's summer skin called
      "mukabaki."] They appear to have their own himo as haidate, and
      similar fasteners on the leg right above the knee. One of my
      books by professor Turnbull shows the reverse side appearing
      as tanned leather.
      I hope this aids your research. Best wishes to most
      honorable fire squire,

      Yoshitomi Toshio, etc.
      Squire and Apprentice to only the best.

      --- In sca-jml@y..., "dateyukiie" <kabuto@c...> wrote:
      > Greetings to all on the list,
      > Can anyone tell me the japanese name of the lovely fur chaps worn
      > some forms of kyudo and yabusame, and sometimes worn in period
      > hunting? Are they assempled like oversized haidate, with a seperate
      > himo or belt, or are they tucked into the uwa-obi? Do they have
      > fasteners that secure it around the lower leg?
      > Are they lined on the back side, or does the naked leather lay
      > the hakama?
      > Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      > Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic