7997Re: [SCA-JML] help a newbee?

  • Ron Martino
    Jul 2 8:00 AM
      > http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/Miscellany/Address.html <--This is a great
      > site, and I wish we could get it pushed through Laurel. It has a much
      > nicer feel to the various honorifics than the current, out of period
      > titles.

      > -Ii

      I'm curious why it matters what the Laurel College of Arms says the
      'approved' titles are? Around here usage is whatever the expert (read
      'local person who does that culture') says it should be. In other words,
      folks ask /me/ how they should address me. I also use the more correct
      titles from Effingham when speaking to others rather than the ones the
      College cobbled together.

      Others from similarly 'obscure' cultures do the same with their titles
      - the Polish knight uses a polish title instead of 'sir', same with the
      German duke, the Norse folks and so forth. Some of the titles used are
      from the College lists, but some are not, if a more accurate usage
      exists.

      So, if the College of Arms can't be bothered to get their facts
      straight, then in this instance I would suggested that we lead, and the
      College can follow...

      Yumitori

      must preside at our assemblies.
      William O. Douglas