7845Re: jingasa

  • rujoking99
    May 8, 2002
      > 2. for combat.... has anyone fought heavy with one?
      > and if so what guage steel did you use? i know its a
      > little strange but it will complement the tatami do im
      > working on well.

      I have seen a few English personae fight with helms with wide
      brims, like a sun hat, only SCA legalized. These helmets were
      period for the latter Hundred Years' War, because they could be
      cheaply made and kept some of the rain off. However, their chief
      disadvantage is that when the brim gets struck, the whole helm
      see-saws on your head. With no straps, the way the helmets
      were designed to be worn, the see-sawing just causes the helm
      to flip off. But with SCA strapping techniques, your neck would
      take much too much punishment from holding your head up
      straight.

      > any one have input/ suggestions/
      > experiences/ recomended thicknesses with and without
      > rolling. im figuring 16 will definately need a roll
      > while 14 might take the abuse.

      I would be worried with 16-gauge on my head. I don't think I
      would trust my noggin to 14 gauge either, and personally, I'd
      prefer 12-gauge, but I'm a little paranoid that way. One of the
      Black Diamond Baronial Relics (tm) is the Helm of Ishmael, and
      appears to be thicker than 10 gauge. But the helm can't be worn
      safely by any normal human, so the weight isn't much of an
      issue.

      *Now imagine all that said by a short, smiling dude in phat
      pants. Poof! Videoconferencing!*
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic