7170Re: [SCA-JML] Warrior question...

    Feb 3, 2002
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      > > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
      > > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
      > > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
      > > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.
      > Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
      > don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
      > how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
      > obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

      Just stuff it. <G> Actually, you have a choice; just stuff the katana in, or make a
      sword carrier (those little leather things on belts that allow you to hang a katana
      like a tachi).

      > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
      > hakama? Something like an iai obi?

      Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
      by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
      for strength.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic