      From: andreahg2000 [mailto:andrea@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 11:25 AM
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: I think I'm ready...

      - the first is they get kind of bunched
      >   around the ankles so that I have to kick my feet free and the
      second is that
      >   they get pulled down lower and lower around my waist as I go.  Any
      >   suggestions on how to keep this from happening or is that normal?

      Well, I have sloved this in two ways.  First, I wear my nagabakama at
      a high waist.  We don't have any pictures that show where the
      waistband lies and there is proof that the Nara fashion was to wear
      the skirts and pants high waisted.  Because of my shape, this helps
      them stay up.  The other way to avoid slippage is to take tiny little
      shuffling steps.  Yeah, it takes a while to gt anywhere and it doesn't
      work on carpet.

      I get the
      >   impression that women of the Heian era didn't do much hiking.
      Also, what
      >   kind of footwear should I wear?  I was going to wear tabi - is
      >   something better?

      I either wear plain old socks (nylon trouser socks or knee high
      stockings help to avoid slippage, cotton socks encourage slippage) or
      go bare feet.