5644Re: [SCA-JML] Translation of the Knight's Oath?

  • Ii Saburou
    Aug 1 7:24 PM
      On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Mistress Graidhne tells me that she
      > put together that book of Midrealm oaths back when she was
      > Dragon Principle Herald. She says that they are supposed to
      > act as a guide and that you do not have to follow them
      > exactly. That said, how about something more Japanese which
      > deals with things like the "mandate of heaven" (a good
      > classical Chinese idea) and stuff like that which roughly
      > parallels the stuff in the book of ceremonies?

      My immediate concern in attempting something like that would be how best
      to translate 'Middle Kingdom'? 'Chuugoku' is already taken in modern
      Japanese, so what would you do? Midoru? That doesn't sound quite right
      to me. Perhaps just using, 'my land' or 'my country'? That would
      translate across borders, as well.