5114Re: [SCA-JML] (unknown)

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Jun 20, 2001
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! Not only do I not recall seeing occupations
      slotted into infant names, but I am not convinced that the
      occupational name construction is correct. Those books are in
      an entirely different state at the moment, so I can not conjure
      up dozens of examaples of -maro (old form) -maru (new form) names.

      A few examples of historical -maru names will have to suffice.

      Yoshiwakamaru
      Matsumaru
      Jirouhoujimaru (this comes closest to the proposed form)

      More typical would be something of the form

      Kamewakamaru - Tortoise+Young+Maru

      Further, while "hunting" was a common sport of the Bushi
      (see Farris), it was not (to the best of my recolection)
      a particularly common occupation. Since we do have recepies
      for a variety of game animals, we are confident that hunting
      did take place. However, due to Buddhist sentiments, the
      status of a hunter would not be particularly high except
      possibly in rather early times when the court had an annual
      hunt ritual. I sincerely doubt that parents would be eager
      to saddle their child with a name involving hunting.