4935Re: [SCA-JML] origami

    Jun 1, 2001
      Andrea Gideon wrote:

      > Does anyone know if origami is period?
      >
      > Nadeshiko

      It depends on what you mean by "origami."

      Letters and so on were folded and tied into knots as far back as the Heian
      period, but when it comes to making real shapes (like cranes or boats) most
      people think they started that sometime in the 17th century.

      There are a few mon that are origami thingies (I'm thinking of one
      specifically that's a crane) but most of these mon are products of late Edo
      and Meiji periods. Certainly origami birds are also objects painted (makie)
      on lacquerwork and other things. The trick would be to find a tray or
      something showing an origami crane that can be dated with certainty to
      before 1600. I don't know if it can be done.

      And having written this, I just ran across these sites:

      http://www.paperfolding.com/history/partone.html
      http://www.paperfolding.com/history/parttwo.html

      It's nice to find a history that doesn't artificially age all that "exotic"
      Japanese stuff....