45[SCA-JML] Re: tv show or movie????

  • Bruce Mills
    Oct 10, 1999
      On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > "some" doesn't matter. Corpora says "make an attempt at pre
      > seventeenth-century costume." Deliberately recreating something that
      > didn't even appear until AFTER that cutoff is to me a complete disregard
      > of the rules.

      I never said I *agreed* with those "some"...

      > Plus the fact that their whole design is post period both in fact and in
      > concept. Nagabakama were developed for a reason, and that reason wasn't
      > something that was part of sengoku or feudal Japanese life. The thing
      > is, these garments are SYMBOLIC of the Edo period, and should not be
      > used in the SCA. They had analogues that DID exist in period, and are
      > symbolic of THAT era, and it is those that should be recreated.

      Yes, certainly. I never said that we should recreate non-period things. I
      was just saying that while the clothing protrayed in the series might get
      *close* to period, they weren't documentable *as* period, and shouldn't be
      used as a model for SCA use.

      > > Sheesh! Nit pickers! :-}
      >
      > PPPFFFFTTTHHHH!!! <G>

      At least provide a towel!