      From: "Confucius" <mitsuo@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] greetings!
      Date: Tue, Feb 6, 2001, 7:58 PM

      > 'Fraid not. My sources indicate that the shamisen started appearing in
      > Japan in "early Edo" -- which is typically defined as anywhere from 1610
      > to 1680. If it were before 1610, they usually say "Momoyama - early
      > Edo." And the shamisen wasn't an accepted "court instrument," either, no
      > more than the banjo is typically found in an orchestra. It was very much
      > a commoner instrument, and more or less took the place of the biwa as a
      > joururi instrument.

      Ah, okay.  Well, any other possibilities for a 16th c. stringed instrument (not as expensive as the biwa) that I've overlooked?

      > The jabisen arrived in Okinawa or Japan sometime c. 1570, and was
      > modified between 1595 and 1625 into the shamisen, and then started to
      > gain popularity in Japan proper.

      Wait--so, might I be safe with the Chinese version, then (it arrived in Japan ca. 1570?)?  Or would nobody have had those in "Japan proper" until it became the shamisen?

      > Personally, I like shamisen, but they are quintessentially Edo
      > intstruments, and I'm just as annoyed by the thought of a shamisen at an
      > event as I am a modern-style guitar (which is also far too common in the
      > SCA).

      Yes, I know your pain.  Guitars still annoy me, but unfortunately I've been numbed to almost-indifference by people playing modern violin.  However, I still have a crusade against obviously post-period folk songs.  Where I am, nobody save myself performs actual medieval music...all folk songs, and 17th c. stuff at best.  I once heard some ladies perform a badly-pronounced Arabic "tribal folk song" in 5-part harmony...Oh, how I cringed.

      >> (as a side note, Japanese folk singing is so hard to get right!  Has
      >> anybody had any luck?)

      > Some, yes. The tone waver problem is tough, as is singing like I have a
      > head cold. <G>

      Yes! :)  I have a lot of trouble getting Italian styles, too.  But you've had some luck?  Any tips?
      So, are you a musician?

      Health attend you,
      Nameless Person
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers