28762Re: [SCA-JML] Samurai Archive reviews Alexander Bennett's new translation of "Hagakure"

  • richard johnson
    Jun 23, 2014
      I admit to possessing an e-copy of the work which I never managed to read, but this article makes me want to purchase and read the new translation.

      On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM, JL Badgley tatsushu@... [sca-jml] <sca-jml@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      http://www.theshogunshouse.com/2014/06/the-evil-book-redeemed-alexander.html

      While this book is post-period, it is often used by many as a guide to the ethos of Bushido. Many translations have been panned in various circles, however, as they are often taken out of context, and I had no idea that there were parts that had not been translated. This looks like an interesting read, particularly when recommended by someone like Karl Friday. It does have to be remembered that this is someone looking back at the old culture of the samurai from the Pax Tokugawa, and not a contemporary account of pre-17th century culture.

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com