28751Shijo-Ryu Hocho-do (Shijo School of the Kitchen Knife)

  • JL Badgley
    May 12, 2014
      Warning:  These videos show a whole fish being made (very ceremonially and with great pomp) into many parts.  While there is very little blood, I figured I would put a trigger warning up for anyone who doesn't care for that sort of thing.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Na7bD7q-W0

      Shijo Ryu is a style of ceremonial filleting that goes back to at least 1489 when the book "Shijo Ryu Hou Chou Sho" was written, with claims of origins back to the 9th century.  This was a part of presentation at feasts and festivals, and you often see the decorative fish in displays, but I hadn't seen it actually done before.  This could, on the one hand, be a really cool means of presenting a feast.  On the other hand it would require that people sit and wait for their food, so maybe not best for a bunch of hungry diners.  If you are going to *serve* said fish, you want to make sure that it is sashimi-grade fish, and I would want to practice ahead of time, a *lot*.

      Here is a page for the Shijo Ryu school: