28698Re: Shoso-in Repository Online

  • LJonthebay
    Nov 23, 2013

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig!
      >
      > > I'm not finding any information about dates - can we assume that everything in there is 8th century? I'm not remembering my history very well.
      >
      > I'm pretty sure that the short answer is NO. Yes, there is some really ancient stuff in there, but the place is not a time capsule or an archeological find.

      To elaborate, most of what is in the Shoso-in belonged to an 8th century emperor. They're still trying to catalogue it all - in 2010, they'd listed nearly 10,000 items.

      Some of the items are older, some of them are definitely items imported from other parts of Asia.

      Saionji no Hana
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic