28680Re: [SCA-JML] How to pass a alias.

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Oct 30, 2013
      Bolline wrote:
      > I am trying to figure out how to pass a alias.

      Registering a name in the SCA is straightforward, though I would
      not say it is easy. There is a form and a process. The heralds
      in you kingdom will help you fill out the form and follow the
      submissions process. To complete the form, you will need to do
      two main things.

      One is to demonstrate that the name you want to use does not
      conflict with any other registered names in the SCA. The heralds
      can help you with this. I can't find anything in the database
      containing "Kumakawa" (which is good news), but I am neither
      great at this nor official.

      http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_name.cgi

      The other is to support your choice of name with historical
      references. You will need to show that your name is either based
      directly on historical examples, or plausible based on period
      naming practices. The fact that the name you want makes sense
      linguistically does not mean it has historical support.

      Ask the heralds if they have a copy of THLady Solveig's "Name
      Construction in Mediaeval Japan" (NCMJ). If you can find support
      for your name in there, it is quite likely to be accepted. If
      not, you will have to do your own research to support it by
      finding historical documents with similar names in them.

      I don't see "Yumitaka" in
      http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/solveig/nanori/nanoriy.html
      which is a list of given names extracted from NCMJ (which is bad
      news). Don't give up hope, though.

      Keep two more things in mind:

      1) You don't need to register a name in order to use it in the
      SCA. Registering a name reserves it for your use and makes it
      official. If neither of those is as important to you as the
      name itself, grit your teeth and just use the name.

      2) Names, especially in medieval Japan, can be distinct from
      what you are called. You can register one name for official
      purposes, and introduce yourself by what you want people to
      call you.

      The simplest way to get started is to go to an SCA event and
      when you are checking in ask, "Is there a heraldic consultation
      table at this event?" The full process can take an hour or two,
      so make sure you can devote the time. I assure you that the
      heralds in your local group want to help you pick a name you
      are happy with.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)