28610Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help with name documentation

    Sep 25, 2013
      Ōda Ujimasa dono!

      Greetings from Solveig!

      Oh we'll, I'm more patient in my old age. I'll work on my device. That brings me to the next question. How do you submit a Japanese Mon style as a device.

      Devices are always submitted on an escutcheon (shield shape) form. Badges are always submitted on a square form. The theory for devices is that the design flows to fill the space of the shield shape it is displayed on. This means that a border will follow the edge of a shield and will be round on a round shield. However, it is probably better to treat annular rings in Japanese kamon as an annulus and not as a border. That way they stay rings no matter what you display them on. Incidentally, annular rings are not all that common with early Japanese kamon.

      I thought maybe the blazon on a rondel then when I actually draw it using artistic expression to make it more like a Japanese Mon, just use the circle and the blazon without the outer shield shape.

      How do Japanese personas work within the SCA device rules?

      Today, there are two possible approaches. One way is to design something which follows "core style" rules and only uses charges used in European heraldry. The other approach is to document your design as an "individually attested pattern". In principle, the second approach allows you to use Japanese charges which do not appear in "core style" armory. Incidentally, there is a fair amount of interest in "individually attested patterns" even with European armory. Regardless, if for example you want to use a tomoe in your armory, then you have to follow the second approach. This requires that your armory be purely Japanese in its design. Individually attested patterns are for the purist.