28606Re: Informal Heian ensembles (for women)

  • LJonthebay
    Sep 22, 2013
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "aoyama02" <kornishpyxee@...> wrote:
      > I've got a couple questions about the two-layer informal Heian ensembles, such as Saionji-sama's Twelfth Night ensemble. 1) Is there a suggested color code, like there is for the full five-to-twelve layered ensembles? Does one work with a particular established ensemble and somehow reduced from 5 (or 12) layers down to two?

      There probably is, but the only ones that appear to have been recorded were for the seventh month (high summer). The one I did was based on something in the Kyoto Costume Museum and the color scheme does make some sense if you think about late winter imagery, i.e., new shoots (pale green) peeping from beneath dead leaves (gold).

      You may just have to take a best guess and extrapolate, because the known kasane are known because someone bothered to write them down as a cheat sheet for his Empress. I started with an informal ensemble informal and worked up to a full kasane over the course of a few years because that was how my budget dictated I go.

      > 2) What events would be appropriate to wear such an ensemble to? Are there events where it would be "too" informal?

      Yes, but how would the namban around you know the difference? (Wink.) Technically it's far too informal for Twelfth Night or the investiture of princes, but I've worn it for those occasions. (For that matter, I've waltzed in it at a Mikado themed "Topsy Turvy" dance event!)

      Saionji no Hana, West Kingdom
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic